Wednesday 14 May 2014

BBC Caversham (A) – 10.5.14


Match called off due to rain

I can’t pretend to be disappointed that this one was cancelled as I wasn’t down to play anyway; I’d opted to play football as my team had a cup final the same afternoon.  As it turned out I was an unused substitute so all I’d done in effect was to give up not playing cricket for the chance to not play football instead.  And then we lost the cup final, in apocalyptic rain, so what a brilliant day that was.

Incidentally, this summer brings an end to my mediocre footballing career.  I’m retiring from the Saturday league after four hugely enjoyable seasons (and one memorable goal) with Brookside St Laurence, an immensely talented group who somehow managed to achieve top 3 finishes every year despite never training together.  The fact is, at 35, I’m starting to feel off the pace, a bit of a liability – my fear of making a catastrophic error now far outweighs any anticipation of doing something amazing.  I’m by no means unfit (I’m training to run a marathon in October) but I never had that much talent to begin with and if I lose any more sharpness they might as well replace me with a wheelie bin.

I’m the oldest player in the team, I’ve got used to that.  I may not be completely useless but I’m not first choice for any position.  I’m still capable of doing a limited kind of job in the right circumstances, and no one doubts my willingness for the team to succeed.

Basically, I’m Ken.  I’m the Ken Stewart of my football team.

At the time of writing I have one last league game still to play then I’ll cast the football boots aside and turn instead to my running shoes.  They say you know when it’s time to go, and I’ve realised for a little while now that I look forward to a long, gentle run down the towpath a lot more than I relish the thought of trying to stop teenagers scoring goals.  There’s a kid in our league I used to babysit – he got married last year.  One of our players was born in 1998 for crying out loud.  Being around these people is bound to make me feel old.

I don’t worry though.  If I ever want to feel young and athletic again I simply turn up and play for RUASCC.

No comments:

Post a Comment